<< Return to main page
Here's a list of old episodes in date order! There have been some great conversations so feel free to binge them all!
<< Back to main page
Episode 38 - Effective Hiring for Product Managers & Building Diverse Teams (with Kate Leto, Author "Hiring Product Managers")
Diversity & Inclusion
Women in Product
Episode 38: Effective Hiring for Product Managers & Building Diverse TeamsKate Leto, Author "Hiring Product Managers"
23 Feb 2021
About the Episode
Kate is a consultant who advises organisations how to build Product teams and practices. She is also the author of "Hiring Product Managers: Using Product EQ to go beyond culture and skills", a book that aims to help hire effective Product leaders in the first place, or develop Product leaders that are struggling to make an impact.
We talk about a lot, including:
- How her experience hiring Product leaders helped her write a book about it, and how hard it was to keep it succinct
- How hot shot VPs / Heads of Product can fail if they rely too much on technical skills, and how as an industry we focus too much on hiring for them
- How long to stick with Product leaders before having that difficult conversation about their next move
- How new leaders often aren't set up for success through lack of coaching, and just left to get on with it
- The importance of a shared understanding of what the job role entails, and not just copying and pasting job descriptions from Google
- The problem with "Cultural Fit" and how you need different puzzle pieces and not a stack of the same
- How neurodiversity fits into a high EQ world and how to adapt hiring processes to cater for different ways of thinking
- What progress we've made with advancing women in Product Management, and what hasn't changed at all
And much more!
You can catch up with Kate on LinkedIn or Twitter, or on kateleto.com.
Buy Kate's book
If you like the sound of Kate's book, why not go and buy it?
Related episodes you should like:
- Measurably Improving Managers to Help People do Great Work... and be Totally Psyched Doing It (Russ Laraway, Author "When They Win, You Win")
- Maintaining a Collaborative & Inclusive Product Culture at Scale (Anna Curzon, CPO @ Xero)
- Defeating Bias, Prejudice and Bullying in the Workplace (Kim Scott, Author "Radical Candor" & "Just Work")
- Building Your Product Muscles & Developing Strong Product Teams (Petra Wille, Product Leadership Coach)
- Product Management in Africa & Dreams of an African Silicon Valley (Layo Ogunbanwo, Founder @ Practical Product)
- Building a Culture of Continuous Discovery (Cindy Alvarez, Author "Lean Customer Development")
- Practical Product Management & Demonstrating Product Thinking (Büşra Coşkuner, Product Consultant & Coach)
- Empathy, Mentorship and The Importance of Diversity & Inclusion (Ana Kresina, Product Manager @ Redbubble)
Copyright © 2020-2024 One Knight in Product