<< Return to main page
Here's a list of old episodes in date order! There have been some great conversations so feel free to binge them all!
<< Back to main page
Episode 101 - The Importance of Making Design a Strategic Business Partner (with Wolfgang Bremer, Head of Design @ Elli)
Episode 101: The Importance of Making Design a Strategic Business PartnerWolfgang Bremer, Head of Design @ Elli
24 Dec 2021
24 Dec 2021
About the Episode
An interview with Wolfgang Bremer. Wolfgang is the Head of Design at Elli, an electric vehicle company that is part of the Volkswagen group. Wolfgang wants to help make people's lives simpler through design, build true cross-functional relationships and is passionate about getting designers a seat at the table and making them valued business partners.
We speak about a lot, including:
- The mission behind Elli and some of the considerations & challenges of creating physical products where you actually have to make things
- Why he tends to bounce from big company to small company and vice versa, the pros & cons of each type of company and whether, given Volkswagen own Elli, he's in a small company or a big company right now
- Some key considerations you need to think about when hiring designers depending on the size of your company and what you might optimise for
- The problems that silo thinking can bring, where you have designers, product and engineering throwing grenades backwards and forwards over the fence
- Why it's so important for designers to be true business partners and some of the problems it can cause when they're not
- Whether it's important to have a CXO representing the design team at the top table, or whether it really matters who the team reports through
- Some of the hallmarks of bad managers, how even small things can make a difference, and some principles to live by when trying to build effective teams
And much more!
You can join Wolfgang's 20K followers (and counting) on Twitter or visit bremer.co.
Related episodes you should like:
- Measurably Improving Managers to Help People do Great Work... and be Totally Psyched Doing It (Russ Laraway, Author "When They Win, You Win")
- Using Tech to Change Culture and Un-f**king the Design Industry (Mackenzie Daisley, CEO & Founder at Brieft)
- Valentine's Special! A Love Letter to Problems, not Solutions (Uri Levine, Founder @ Waze & Author "Fall in Love with the Problem, not the Solution")
- Moving Beyond Founder-Led Product Development & Setting PMs up for Success (Jennifer Yang-Wong, VP of Product @ Contrary)
- Betting on the Value of Product Design at the Organisational Poker Table (Andy Budd, Executive & Design Leadership Coach & Founder @ Clearleft)
- Pioneers, Settlers & Town Planners in Performance Design (Richie Lokay, VP of Product Design and Services @ Wunderkind)
- Building the Future of Automated Crypto Trading with the DDDT Process (Gabriele Musella, CEO @ Coinrule)
- The Philosophy of Product Design (Udhaya Kumar Padmanabhan, Global Strategic Design Director @ Designit)
Copyright © 2020-2024 One Knight in Product